Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blessing at 30,000 feet!


I don't know about any of you but as for me, I hate turbulence!! Several years ago, my daughter and I were flying home from San Diego and we had the most turbulence I've ever felt in my life! I actually thought the plane was going down! I grabbed onto my daughter and started praying for God to forgive us for our sins! LOL! It was pretty bad. It was nerve-wracking! It was so bad it made me think twice about flying!

Well, this blessing has a double blessing. The first part happened last year as I was on a plane flying to San Diego. This time i was flying by myself. I had sent my daughter to San Diego ahead of me, a week before, to see her family. I put her on a plane all by herself for the first time! That was nerve-wracking in itself! So I was on the plane headed to San Diego to meet her. I had brought a book with me to read called "The Prayer of Jabez" (which is a whole other blessing that you'll hear about later!). It's a book about one little verse in the bible, 1 Chronicles 4:10, where this man prayed for God to bless him and God granted his request and how we can apply that to our lives and harness the same blessings through this prayer!

As we reached cruising altitude of 30,000 feet, I decided that I would take advantage of those blessings and pray! I prayed the prayer of Jabez and also said "God, You KNOW how much I hate turbulence! I trust You that You'll take care of me and I also know that You want to give me the desires of my heart. Well, today I desire that we have no turbulence!! Please make this a turbulence-free flight! In Your name I pray, Amen!" Well, I'll give you one guess as to what happened on that flight . . we had NO turbulence! NONE! Not even a bump! It was the smoothest flight I'd ever been on! When we landed, giddy with the fact that we have an AWESOME God, I realized that He had answered my prayer and I thanked Him!

The second part of the blessing happened as my daughter and I were flying home on the plane together. This time as we reached cruising altitude of 30,000 feet, I told my daughter the story of what had happened on the plane ride there. I told her about the awesome power of prayer and how we can always go to God for anything and how we should always trust Him to take care of us! So I said a prayer. I basically said the same one that I had said on the previous flight, that I don't like turbulence and I didn't want any on this flight! But something different happened this time. We had turbulence! And then something else different happened as the plane was rocking back and forth . . I wasn't afraid! I didn't have that sinking feeling like we were going to crash and I felt a peace come over me. I looked at my daughter and she had a scared look on her face. I took hold of her hand and with peace in my heart and a smile on my face I just said, "Trust Jesus, sweetie".

The turbulence finally stopped and we landed safely! I realized then, that Jesus had gone above and beyond answering my prayer. We had turbulence on the plane, but He took the turbulence out of my heart! He gave me the peace that only HE can give! It was amazing! In tears, I thanked Him for being more awesome than I ever could have imagined! Jesus was my blessing up there at 30,000 feet! On the ground or the air, He can be your blessing too!

"Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything! Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand! His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ!" Philippians 4:6-7

Blessings from Patrice!

3 comments:

  1. Patrice, I love your writings! You have a such a pure and beautiful heart towards God. You bless and inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy said...
    Beautiful story Patrice! God is so-o-o-o good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blog is beautiful and I loved reading your experiences on flying. You are a breath of fresh air as I see how you are experiencing such a close relationship with God and sharing that experience with your daughter and with us. Reading your comments and sharing blesses me and inspires me to develop a closer friendship with God.

    ReplyDelete